Monday, August 23, 2010

My Favorite (cup)Cake

So after many people suggested (or enforced) that this week's theme be dessert-related, I bring you My Favorite Cake, which happens to be a cupcake.  Since the emergence of high-end gourmet bakeries in the city, like Magnolia, Crumbs, Sarabeth's, etc., people have sworn by these places for their sugar fix.  I happen to think many of these bakeries (not all of them) are overrated which I'm sure will be met with some disdain. 

For me, I DON'T like too much frosting on any cake, especially a cupcake.  I think whipped cream is an accent to make whatever dessert you're eating look more imposing and grandiose.  I think heavy frosting also is laid on thick to disguise the lack of a quality, moist, fresh piece of cake. 


With that said, I'm a sucker for anything
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - mainly any combination of chocolate and peanut butter is amazing.  Standing alone, Chocolate is merely a dominant feminine aphrodisiac by one that any guy can use as leverage against his female counterparts.  And Peanut Butter, is...  creamy, disgusting and ultimately delicious.  But together, it's like... it's... just SO DAMN GOOD!

So when I see this combination made by one of my favorite bakeries and neighbor to my old office in
Chelsea Market, let's just say we enjoyed celebrating our co-workers birthdays in the office since we always ordered cupcakes from here.  Eleni's New York has in there "5th Avenue" line of cupcakes, the simply put - "Reeses Cupcake."  In case you're interested, the other cupcakes in this line are Red Velvet, Chocolate Ganache and Oreo Madness which you wouldn't say no to if forced to eat. 

On top, 3/4 of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup is stuffed into a swirl of Peanut Butter icing - and this icing isn't just for decoration or an injection of sugar.  The cake's flavor is devil's food - which is a perfect name for this cake when one is on a wedding diet.  The cake is moist, you see the flakiness and feel how "heavy" the flavor is.  Some people have different ways of eating their cupcakes; perhaps eating the icing first, or saving it till last.  I eat the peanut butter cup first, then each bite into the cupcake has to combine the icing with the cake.  The combination is key!


Some side notes about Eleni's:
- In this only store, everything is baked/made fresh daily.  If it's around past the baking day then it's sold for less.
- They are more well-known for their sugar cookie designs and customizations
- Don't go from 12-2pm on any day (including weekends), it is mobbed.
The 5th Avenue Cupcakes

So, after I can pretty much guarantee I will not be getting this cupcake any time soon, I rather share My Favorite (cup)Cake as:








 

Item: Reeses Cupcake
Place: Eleni's New York
Location: 75 Ninth Avenue - Chelsea Market (between West 15th & 16th Streets)
Phone:
(888)-435-3647
Website: http://www.elenis.com
 

I'm sure there are some magnolians amongst you who I might have upset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment