Friday, August 13, 2010

My Favorite Burger

I'm not sure if you've experienced what I think is the most debated "Best of" in the city, the Burger.  Derived from something/someone that comes from Hamburg, Germany, the Hamburger has taken on many forms in the US, which probably explains why everyone has a different reason why their favorite burger is from where it is. 

For me, It was about a year after I started working in Manhattan... 22 years old and starting to sculpt my eventual foodiness, when I was asked to go to lunch with one of the Network Sales Reps at Clear Channel Katz Advantage, part of Katz Media Group (No, there's no relation - Yes, it's a funny coincidence, but not that funny).  It was myself and one of my co-workers going to lunch with this Sales Rep who claims to know the BEST burger place in Manhattan that no one knows about.  I said, "Okay, this is easy - has to be Corner Bistro" "No, been there. This is better"...

Me: Burger Joint?

Him: Nope

Me: Shake Shack?

Him: Nu-uh, that's good but this is bigger and better.

Me: Jackson Hole?!

Him: Just trust me...

We've now walked three avenues and six blocks away from our office, "this place better be good".  We finally get there and from the outside it looks non-descript, like a "street-meat" stand decided to design the exterior.  A huge red awning with a white sign and black painted letters reading "Island Burgers & Shakes - Home of the Chicken Churrasco" and flanked by two Coca-Cola signs is shown to indicate we're here. 

We walk in and Beach Boys is blaring from a ready-made boombox area behind the register and there's not a table to be had.  The feel is very California Surfer meets In-n-Out Burger
which was fit into a narrow area the size of a hallway.  We sit down after 10 minutes and I see the menu for the first time, open it up, and on either side is a listing of various burgers I can choose - ranging from a Basic (the bun and the burger with sliced red onions, lettuce & tomato for $8) to the Slick Willie's (the Basic + ham, relish, American cheese, bacon, sour cream, BBQ sauce, grilled onions for $11).  Needless to say, I was happily overwhelmed with all 60-something choices...

His choice was the Napalm, which is their hottest/spiciest burger on the menu and was prepared blackened with BBQ sauce, jalapenos, cheddar cheese and habanero pepper sauce.  Also happens to be an awesome name for a burger.  In subsequent visits I've had the Napalm and loved it but of course with anything spicy, it's hard to really get the flavors of what you're eating and being able to savor the different ingredients. 

So for my first visit I got The Clyde which was blackened with bleu cheese, salsa and bacon.  I'm not sure how you prefer your burgers but I prefer mine "Medium."  Now they say that when one eats a meal, the serving size of your protein should fit the size of your fist.  It came out and this burger with accouterments was the size of two fists.  I struggle to make sure I get the full bite in as the patty's juices soak into the bun and all over my hands.  The bleu was crumbled, not creamy.  The bacon was still fresh and not dry like it was sitting for five hours waiting to be used.  Two napkins and 15 minutes later I'm done, not taking a break until there was nothing left to eat.  I smile and thank my co-worker profusely - vowing to come back the same time next week (which we did). 

My burger of choice has now evolved after trying about 10 burgers on the menu to the Acapulco.  This is one-of-a-kind and I now crave this monstrosity regularly (or as regularly as one can on a wedding diet).  Roasted onions, Jalapenos, Garlic & Cilantro are pulsed together into a sandstone-colored paste that is liberally drenched on top of the burger.  I prefer a slice of Monterey Jack Cheese for texture on top.  It gets everywhere and takes me no more than 5 minutes to devour. 

Some side notes about IBS:
1) They do not offer fries on the menu.  This first edition of my food favorites is already running quite long so if you need an explanation, it is listed on the menu as to why this is the case.  Dirty Brand Potato Chips are offered as an alternative for $1.25
2) Their shakes are very good
3) All versions of their burgers can also come as a Chicken Churrasco (Chicken Breast Sandwich)
4) No reservations - 1C1S

So if you decided to bypass my long-windedness, my favorite burger in Manhattan is:



Item: The Acapulco Burger
Place: Island Burgers & Shakes
Address:  766 9th Avenue (between 51st & 52nd)
Phone: 212-307-7934
Website: http://island.ypguides.net/

1 comment:

  1. From NYFF Contributor, Kantro:

    Stefan and I decided we'd try Island Burger last week so I figured I would send out a review. Prior to Jordan starting the fantastic NYFF, we had discussed our favorite burger places in the city. While mine has jumped around quite a bit as I've explored the vast and diverse ways in which beef patties have been prepared in New York City, Jordan has been mostly steadfast in his belief that Island Burger was *the place.* I have to say that while I'm going to cling to Dumont Burger in Williamsburg as my all time favorite, Island is likely going to settle into a spot in my top two or three. I happen to love blue cheese burgers so naturally I went for the Black 'N Blue burger, which is a nicely spiced burger with a wedge of blue cheese on top. I happened to think the distinction between a wedge versus crumbs because this is where Island Burger really proved themselves to me. Obviously I can't speak for the rest of the menu, but if they put out a similar quality with their other selections you'll be more than satisfied.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete