Monday, December 20, 2010

NYFF Review: Bar Paya - Part Deux

The following is a review from one of the NYFF faithful - Nora S.:

Bar Paya
65 Second Avenue (b/w East 3rd & East 4th Streets)
New York, NY 10003
www.barpaya.com

 
Dining Date: Saturday, 12/18/10
Time: 8:00pm
Party of: 4

For my sister's birthday, we returned to Bar Paya on my recommendation.  The service had been less than stellar at our first outing there, but I chalked that up to one waiter taking care of 16 people with 4 seperate checks.  The food had been delicious, and I assumed they wouldn't have trouble with a small table of 4.  Apparently I was wrong.  Also - as it was my sister's birthday, before she arrived I told the waiter and the hostess that I'd like to have a dessert with a candle come out at the end of the meal, and another girl with us also told the hostess.
We ordered a bottle of wine - for 3 of us, the 4th isn't a wine drinker.  We then ordered the guacamole (good, more lobster in it this time), duck (good again), patatas (not my thing - too spicy, but my sister enjoyed them alot), quinoa salad (excellent - could eat a whole plateful for lunch), and the tuna ceviche (also good).  That was for 3 of us, as the 4th non-wine drinker is also a bit of a picky eater.  She ordered the steak from the bottom "bigger portion" of the menu.
The food began arriving quickly - the first 4 dishes.  Then we waited ... waited a bit more.  Then the waiter asked if he could get us anything, to which Girl #4 said she could get the steak she ordered.  My sister then also had to remind him that we ordered a tuna ceviche.  I noticed he wrote nothing down in the beginning of the meal, so therefore he forgot 2 out of the 6 dishes.  Our ceviche came fairly quickly, but it took sometime for the steak to arrive.  I was told it was delicious, though.  We ate her yuca fries -- good dipping sauces, and I liked them better than the patatas.
The waiter then told us he'd give us a complimentary dessert because of the delay with the steak.  After we finished we waited ... and waited ... and waited.The waiter then brought us 4 half-glasses of wine - even to the girl who clearly doesn't drink wine.  The wine was selected specifically to go with the complimentary dessert, which were chocolate truffles.  They were delicious - rolled in crushed hazelnuts and spicy - but several things were wrong.  First, they didn't let us make a selection of what dessert we wanted, they simply brought it out.  Two, there was zero fanfare/candle/etc for the fact that it was a birthday celebration -- and we told them three seperate times.  Three, there were 3 truffles in the bowl.  I understand that is the serving size, but I would think when they are sending out a complimentary dessert to a table of four after having messed up the order, they would toss a fourth truffle in there.  Yet, they did give us four spoons.  We had to actually still ask to see a dessert menu after the fact, but still didn't get anything.
All in all, the total was $130 plus tip, after the complimentary $6 dessert.  We spent around 3 hours there which was a good amount of time, but seemed like most of it was sitting around waiting for food or someone to acknowledge us.
So ultimately, while I liked Bar Paya's food enough to go back, the service was again so poor I don't plan on ever going back.


No comments:

Post a Comment