Monday, November 1, 2010

My Favorite Fall Specialty!

You know, I thought of Sweet Potato Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Apple Cider - honestly anything that calls to mind what I know many people can't wait for when it's the Fall.  Then I realized I was avoiding what I truly appreciate - my Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.  For those that truly know, I'm a snob when it comes to beer and where said beer is served.  I can't help it, I wish I can walk right into McFadden's and feel like I'm in a unique bar that serves something different but...  I can't.  If you can and/or you don't care, I'm sure your life is just easier!

Smuttynose Brewing Company makes various beers, mostly crafted on a monthly basis with short & long (full) batches.  Their beers tend to be stronger than most and definitely make sure you taste the hops at the finish.  But in-between you get all the spices and purposeful ingredients that went into making their complex beers.  Although as complex as they are, you sometimes get the sensation that they are all the same (numb palate).  Luckily their Pumpkin Ale is different.  They don't throw in weird ingredients that some brewers do which make their pumpkin ale's taste overly sweet to the point of a Lambic.  Instead they include mashed pieces of Pumpkin right at the onset of brewing along with "traditional spices" as they like to put it.  This leads to tasting a classic Smuttynose beer with the subtle taste of Pumpkin.  I can't describe it more than that but I love it every year - I even have a six-pack of it at work for 5pm on Friday's, it's that good.

Well this group is a place to tell people WHERE to go to get what you recommend, not just WHAT to get.  So I recommend going to the Ginger Man since I can guarantee it is currently on tap there.  Ginger Man is always a great place to have a beer on draught.  This large bar is warm/comfortable and has a tendency to skew towards a relaxed crowd that just want to have some good beer.  Plush, library-like couches line the front and rear of the bar while wooden booths hug the enormously long taps.  If you're looking to eat, this isn't the place since their beers are the meal.  If you're looking for cutesy little fruity-tinis, cranberry vodkas or jagerbombs, go next door to Galway Hooker.  Instead, only beer, wine and high-end spirits are served here and that's perfectly fine by me. 

Pint of Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale
Ginger Man
11 East 36th Street (b/w 5th & Madison)
www.gingerman-ny.com

No comments:

Post a Comment