Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Favorite Sangvich (Sandwich)


On a whim for lunch, I decided to try out this place in TriBeCa.  One day, I simply walked by Bubby's, stopped to look at the menu and thought it looked interesting so I took a mental note.  It has a weathered feel; with cream and green paint cracked/peeled on the interior and exterior (on purpose) and probably wasn't that clean but it seemed inviting.  I looked it up on menupages and the reviews weren't too favorable, mostly criticizing the price and the cleanliness (it happened to close due to hygiene issues back in 2008).  Nevertheless, I rationalized that if they reopened, it's because they worked their stuff out for the better.
  
Some Baked Goods at Bubby's
Usually the re-openers are the cleanest places you can go to (i.e.; Serendipity 3).
We sit down and are graced with freshly baked biscuits with homemade strawberry jam.  The jew in me is happy since I like to be given something to eat as soon as I sit down.  But this week's theme isn't "My Favorite Biscuit that comes with Homemade Strawberry Jam" so let me get to the tasty heaven on a plate.  The Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich (yes, two 'chickens') is by far one of the most memorable and fulfilling sandwiches I have ever had, anywhere.  They take Bill Evans White Meat Chicken, fry it to perfection so you have a good 80/20 ratio (I'm all about ratios I guess) of chicken to breading.  On top, a healthy portion of caramelized onions, juicy tomatoes, slice of romaine and that favorable oil & egg yolk combination, better known as Mayonnaise.  Alone, this would be a great sandwich BUT it needs that extra something.  And by extra something, I mean some BACON.  Bubby's smokes and cuts their bacon slices thick which works so well when inserted in this sandwich.  The size of the sandwich is enough to share amongst two people.  I'm definitely the sharing type but when it comes to this I just can't - I choose to not share this meal (OCS perhaps?).

Now the kicker/edge-pusher to this delight is that it comes with one side too.  Some of my favorite choices include:  Handcut French Fries, Onion Straws, Hush Puppies, Mashed Potatoes or Creamed Spinach BUT my all-time favorite is the Crusty Mac & Cheese. 


I have since gone to Bubby's about ten times and have tried many other dishes but the Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich is the old-reliable at $16.  Other recommendations are the Garlic Burger, Chicken Club,
BLT Club, Mr. Crunch (a Croque Monsieur that never ends) and the Tuna Apple Salad Sandwich.  All of these come with a choice of side. 

Some Additional Notes about Bubby's:

- They bake fresh pies, cakes, muffins, donuts daily
- Their menu is inspired by using/taking some of the most prolific ingredients and family recipes from around the country
- Open 24/7
- Have seasonal offerings of homemade BBQ

I think I know where I'm going for lunch today, if I get the chance anyway:

Chicken Fried Chicken Sandwich
Bubby's Pie Co.
120 Hudson Street (cnr. N. Moore St.)
New York, NY 10013

www.bubbys.com

No comments:

Post a Comment